How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
For additional information about this position and to apply, please visit: https://leadersandbest.umich.edu/careers/openings?jobPost=168601
For other current openings in Development, please visit our website at: www.giving.umich.edu/careers
CEW+ is committed to identifying current and emerging needs of women and underserved students as well as women of color faculty and staff, thus enabling U-M to better serve and recruit diverse talent. To address those needs, CEW+develops programs and services while simultaneously working towards institutional change in policies and practices.
Do you have a real passion for gender equity and social justice? We work every single day to increase the prevalence of diversity, equity and inclusion in the conversations around us.
Are you a people person with experience in organizing successful donor events? As the Director of Development, you will plan and implement a coordinated program of fundraising activities, which will include a broad range of Development exposure and donor access. As a member of the Development and Supervisory Teams at CEW+ you will report to the Director at CEW+ with oversight from a senior leader from Office of University Development (OUD).
We collaborate across teams for programs, marketing, and events. If collaboration is in your nature, we want to hear from you!
- Engage, cultivate, and solicit CEW+ prospects for major gifts, planned gifts, and lead annual gifts, aligned with CEW+’s priorities
- Creatively manage a portfolio of approximately 100 prospects, located at various points on a continuum from discovery and qualification through cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship
- Build relationships with corporations and corporate leaders through the Corporate Engagement Committee allowing CEW+ to gain insight into models for soliciting corporate gifts & sponsorships
- Solicit gifts and sponsorships from foundations and corporations
- Use relationship building skills, knowledge of the Center’s impact, research and analytics to identify and cultivate CEW+’s donor base; continue CEW+’s pipeline discovery initiative
- Participate in OUD’s training opportunities where it aligns with areas of growth
- Manage data for core Development purposes; determine marketing, solicitation, and newsletter priorities for development and coordinate with development and communications staff to implement priorities
30% Stewardship and Donor Relations
- Steward major donors
- Maintain accurate and current records, document activity, and share with development colleagues as necessary for transparency
- Ensure major donors are notified and inspired to attend CEW+ events
- Assist with CEW+ Stewardship and Annual Giving as needed to help improve the success of those efforts
- Collaborate with colleagues and CEW+ Leadership Council to identify new Leadership Council members aligned with the mission and goals and CEW+
- Find opportunities for engaging donors in CEW+ events, services, programs, and volunteer opportunities
- Organize Leadership Council meetings, take notes and craft meeting minutes and all other communications
10% Leadership Responsibilities
- Build strategic development goals that align with the vision for the Center
- Ensure donor intent matches scholarship recipients in compliance with UM policies
- Supervision of development personnel
- Member of the Supervisory Team
- Discusses organization needs and future strategic development
- Contributes to annual budget process
- Co-create projects for Development Summer Interns (DSIP) and supervise the DSIP intern
5% General Responsibilities
- Lead and assist with programming as needed
- Contribute development perspective to ongoing Center activities
- Bachelor’s degree and 3+ years of professional experience in direct fundraising in higher education; 7+ years overall fundraising experience
- Demonstrated effectiveness interacting with donors
- Knowledge of the challenges and issues faced by women in past and present, and those faced by underserved students
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of laws, practices and philosophy of charitable giving
- Demonstrated dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and Google (Docs, Spreadsheets, Slides)
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for the University of Michigan
- Attention to detail and excellent proofreading skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Experience working independently as well as effectively in teams with individuals with different relationships to CEW+ (faculty, staff, students, community, donors, volunteers, etc.)
- Needs to be able to reliably manage multiple responsibilities and time effectively
- Displays excellent judgment with a professional demeanor and presentation
- Ability to maintain a collegial relationship with departments on and off campus
- Demonstrated 10+ years of higher education fundraising experience, including planned giving
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for CEW+’s mission, programming, and value
- Fundraising experience around women’s issues, gender equity, and social justice causes
- Demonstrated ability to close major gifts of $50k or above
- Experience writing gifts agreements, grant proposals, and/or sponsorship packages
- Thorough knowledge of the University organizational policies, rules, regulations, procurement and purchasing
- Experience with DART, MPathways, BusinessObjects
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
The Office of University Development maximizes private support for the University of Michigan through high-quality collaboration with the development programs of schools, colleges, and units. We also provide fundraising leadership through the stimulation and facilitation of healthy, productive and life-long relationships with our colleagues, alumni, friends, foundations and corporations.
The U-M development community is committed to attracting, developing and retaining a diverse and thriving workforce, and demonstrating respect and inclusivity for all.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.