How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. In your cover letter, please indicate how you discovered this opportunity.
For additional information about this position and to apply, please visit: http://bit.ly/2wvhhYF
For other current openings in Development, please visit our website at: www.giving.umich.edu/careers
Reports to: Assistant Director, Event Design and Communication Supervises directly: N/A
Position summary: will provide graphic design and production support for events within the Office of University and Development Events (UDE) – with an emphasis on the marketing and design efforts for print and HTML invitation packages. Primary responsibilities include production of print and web marketing content and event materials; social media management; creative support. This is a 50% part-time appointment with an annual salary range of $21,000 – $21,500 (a full-time salary equivalent of $42,000 – $43,000).
Office of University Development Mission Statement:
The Office of University Development maximizes private support for the University of Michigan through high-quality collaboration with the development programs of schools, colleges, and units. We also provide fundraising leadership through the stimulation and facilitation of healthy, productive and life-long relationships with our colleagues, alumni, friends, foundations and corporations.
The U-M development community is committed to attracting, developing and retaining a diverse and thriving workforce, and demonstrating respect and inclusivity for all.
Office of University and Development Events Mission Statement:
The Office of University and Development Events creates significant experiences for donors, alumni, faculty, staff, and students that celebrate their accomplishments and enhance their relationships with the University of Michigan.
Our goal is to craft welcoming educational, stimulating and memorable environments for our guests. The emotional impact of their experiences inspires stronger unity, pride and support for the University.
We give our undivided attention to every detail and provide service of the highest quality, offering our guests experiences that exceed their expectations while upholding the principles of fiscal responsibility.
We work together as a dedicated team with common goals. We value, we support and we respect each other, our customers, and the mission of the University.
All that we do upholds the integrity of the University.
Office of University and Development Events – Operating Principles:
Respect – We are professionals who respect each other’s work styles and individual priorities, both personally and professionally. Our individual contributions are embraced by each member of the team.
Responsibility – We are responsible stewards of our resources; consciously holding ourselves fiscally and environmentally accountable to the mission of the University.
Collaboration – We are committed to sharing knowledge and best practices through a variety of methods. We proactively include team members and stakeholders in the planning process. We recognize that relying on each other for assistance is not only vital to our own success, but that of the team. Communication – We communicate openly throughout our department, where we are constructive and approachable. We deliberately and mindfully share information among the team. Development and
Growth – We energetically seek and support the development of ourselves and the team by collecting and offering honest feedback, challenging ourselves with new learning opportunities, and pursuing all that the University has to offer.
Support – We work toward a common goal and spur each other to ask for and provide support. We support each other’s daily effort to balance time and energy across goals between life and work; fostering a flexible environment that values each others’ perspectives and priorities.
Customer Focus – We take great pride in our commitment to superior customer service and do everything within our abilities to provide each guest with an extraordinary Michigan experience.
60% Event Design and Production Support:
- Collaborate with colleagues to design standard invitation packages (print and email).
- Collaborate with colleagues and vendors to design standard marketing collateral to support event goals (signs, give-aways, menus, etc.).
- Draft content for invitation packages, marketing collateral, and event websites.
- Identify, select, and partner with external vendors to produce invitation packages and event materials originating within the UDE team.
- Provide assistance to the Event Design and Project Management Specialist on production of materials for multiple projects as needed.
- Partner with ITS and SPECs on submission of targeted email requests and HTML email campaign deployment.
- Review, proof and coordinate feedback from stakeholders on event packages and marketing materials.
- Review and proof printed materials (programs, invitations, confirmations, website content, registration forms, etc.) as needed.
- Oversee, monitor, and account for all project related expenses.
Provide on-site staffing for events as requested.
40% Social Media and Web Presence:
- Develop, manage, and administer social media for University and
- Development public events.
- Implement and track social media ad campaigns.
- Coordinate website and online registration form development in partnership with the Development Services team—duties to include: writing and editing content and/or forms, testing/troubleshooting, designing, and coding.
Note: Overtime may be necessary which could include early mornings, evenings, weekends, and some holidays.Travel may be required and may occur any time of the year, including holidays.
- A bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience is necessary.
- Collaborative and team approach to work.
Superior written and oral communications skills are required to write intriguing content for event pieces.
- Must demonstrate ability to balance multiple projects with high-level accuracy in a deadline driven environment.
- Candidate must be flexible and able to work with changing timelines. Extensive independence, initiative, and judgment are necessary in the execution of responsibilities.
- Strong time management, project management, and problem-solving skills are required.
- Experience with both print and web design and proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite (portfolio appreciated).
- Extensive knowledge and experience using Microsoft Office software and google drive.
- Candidate must have experience working with customers or clients.
- Knowledge of HTML and/or CSS, or extensive experience with email clients (i.e. MailChimp, Constant Contact, etc.)
- Knowledge of print industry methods and terminology
- Familiarity with teamwork.com, formstack.com or Cvent
- Experience working with external vendors
- Familiarity with the University of Michigan organization, policies, and procedures
- Value the importance of building relationships with our constituents (students, parents, donors, and alumni)
- Passion for providing extraordinary customer service
Previous professional events experience (i.e., planning, staffing, assisting)
- Exposure to U-M’s systems – DART, Business Objects, etc.
- Volunteer experience in a non-profit setting
For additional information about this position and to review other current openings in Development, please visit our website at: www.giving.umich.edu/careers.
Although the Posting End Date may indicate otherwise, this job may be filled and closed anytime after a posting duration of seven calendar days.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.