With a growing reputation for innovative research addressing complex urban issues, UMass Boston—metropolitan Boston’s only public research university—offers its diverse student population both an intimate learning environment and the rich experience of a great American city. Located on a breathtakingly beautiful waterfront, only three subway stops from the center of one of the nation’s most prosperous cities, UMass Boston is composed of ten colleges and graduate schools serving a robustly diverse population of roughly 17,000 students. A majority-minority campus, UMB is the most diverse of the five universities in the University of Massachusetts system.
This is a time of unprecedented growth and transformational change for the university. The first residence halls opened in Fall 2018; the student body has grown substantially in the last ten years and several construction projects have added two new academic buildings to the campus’s physical plant. This dynamic environment will continue in the coming years as the university defines its plans for developing the 20+acre Bayside property to further enhance the academic enterprise and support the community of which the university is a part.
The Associate Vice Chancellor for Corporate and Foundation Relations (C&FR) is a senior level management position in the emerging leadership team in University Advancement and reports directly to the Vice Chancellor for University Advancement. The incumbent will play a leading role in the external relations for the university and increase the level of support that corporations, private foundations and organizations provide to UMass Boston. Responsibilities will include significant outreach to major corporations and foundations locally, nationally and internationally. The incumbent will partner frequently with the Provost, Deans and key faculty members as well as the Chancellor of the university in order to identify, cultivate and secure impactful funding sources for specific programs and initiatives.
- Oversee and provide leadership in planning, organizing and implementing strategies to increase the level of research funding, student scholarship and philanthropic support from corporations and foundations;
- Work collaboratively with the Chancellor, Provost, Vice Provost for Research, Deans, key faculty members to plan and direct corporate and foundation activities and support to university-designated priorities;
- Draft and formally present proposals in order to enhance on-going, or establish new, corporate and foundation engagement in university endeavors. Develop and oversee clearing-house protocols for the university to be used by other C&FR colleagues in order to garner the largest commitment from each organization;
- Working with the Vice Chancellor, manage and steward the university’s relationship with key foundation and corporate funders to maintain strong ties and enhance an increasing level of support. Forge new partnerships that benefit the university in strategic areas identified as institutional priorities and maintain a robust portfolio of new prospective donors;
- Assess industries in which UMass Boston alumni, parents and friends serve in senior positions and pursue internships, mentorships, and scholarship potential for our current students and recent graduates; and,
- Mentor a team of C&FR colleagues and raise their sights on what is possible.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred. A minimum of 10 years of demonstrated progressive experience in a fundraising environment with a proven ability to engage organizations in securing seven figure-plus gifts within a public or private higher education institution or non-profit environment is required. Ability to travel, work evenings and weekends is expected.
Additional expectations included:
- Demonstrable track record of organizing successful fundraising activities and the ability to lead the development of high-level gift and grant strategies and solicitations;
- Skilled in written and oral communication as reflected in proposals and presentations;
- Ability and personality to work collaboratively with and motivate colleagues, volunteers and donors with respect to fundraising activities;
- Familiar with, and able to operate effectively in, a multi-faceted and complex institutional structure; and,
- Confirmed knowledge of, and top-level contact with, major sources of corporate and foundation funding.
The Associate Vice Chancellor for Corporations and Foundations reports directly to the Vice Chancellor of University Advancement.
Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations, Proposal Writer, an assistant
The University of Massachusetts Boston is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories.
Interested Candidates or Nominations:
Talent Acquisition Consultant/Founder
The Pena Network