A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. In your cover letter, please indicate how you discovered this opportunity.
Reports to: Senior Associate Director of Planned Giving (Directly), Associate Director of Planned Giving (Indirectly), Senior Associate Director of Planned Gift Services (Indirectly), Director of Planned Giving (Indirectly)
Position summary: As the Senior Development Assistant, you will provide secretarial, travel, customer service, marketing, and administrative office support to the Senior Associate/Associate Directors of Planned Giving and the Senior Associate Director of Planned Gift Services. You will also provide backup support for the Director of Planned Giving and his/her Senior Development Assistant.
The Office of University Development maximizes private support for the University of Michigan through high-quality collaboration with the development programs of schools, colleges, and units. We also provide fundraising leadership through the stimulation and facilitation of healthy, productive and life-long relationships with our colleagues, alumni, friends, foundations and corporations.
The U-M development community is committed to attracting, developing and retaining a diverse and thriving workforce, and demonstrating respect and inclusivity for all.
Office of Planned Giving Mission Statement
As part of the Office of University Development, the Office of Planned Giving helps maximize private support by providing expertise, in collaboration with development professionals across the institution, for the cultivation, design, administration, and stewardship of planned gifts.
General support (60%)
- Prepare, proof and distribute correspondence
- Record applicable correspondence (interactions, plans, responses, etc.) in DART
- Process applicable correspondence for imaging (WebNow)
- Update logs and tracking tools as appropriate Receive, record, distribute and track responses to Planned Giving donor mailings
- Prepare and reconcile expense reports using Concur
- Serve as back-up for operations mentor for new Planned Giving team members
- Create and update mail merge documents and spreadsheets Assist with preparation of presentations
- Assist Planned Giving staff with general organization of work and physical space
- Manage calendars and set-up meetings and appointments
- Handle copying, faxing and mail responsibilities
- Provide phone coverage for Office of Planned Giving
- Order office supplies
- Execute special projects as assigned
- Maintain the OPG file room and accurately maintain electronic and hard copy files for all life income gifts
- Routing and processing of gift documentation from Planned Gift Services
- Create routine and customized reports using DART and Business Objects
- Coordinate travel arrangements for Planned Giving staff (research airlines, hotels, automobile rentals, etc. for best possible rates, coordinate advantageous travel times for traveler, and organize and produce all necessary documents and confirmation information for traveler)
- Maintain charitable gift annuity disclosure statements and investment model slip sheets on the Office of Planned Giving sites ( DevNet, Google Site)
Coordinate Planned Giving Marketing Efforts in close collaboration with Senior Associate Director of Planned Giving (25%)
- Partner with Senior Associate Director of Planned Giving in development and implementation of PG marketing plan
- Create/edit planned giving marketing pieces briefs and mailings
- Participate in review of marketing pieces with marketing supplier
Coordinate marketing efforts with Integrated Data Services (IDS), OUD Marketing and Communications and other campus partners
- Update and maintain information on the Office of Planned Giving sites (PG website, DevNet, Google Sites)
- Manage PG solicitation and mail codes, including definition of use
- Maintain and upload marketing lists for e-mail distribution of PG marketing communications
- Participate in the planning and organizing of planned giving educational series and donor events
- Develop and maintain DART best practices for planned giving solicitations and mail codes
- Participate in preparation of planned giving presentations and materials
- Coordinate donor follow-up relating to marketing responses, reply cards, and email
Communication, outreach, and customer service for donors and schools, colleges, and units (10%)
- Answer general Planned Giving questions Accurately direct inquiries to the appropriate Planned Giving and/or University personnel
Provide reception coverage and other duties as assigned (5%)
- Bachelor’s degree desired or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (experience with advanced functions preferred)
- Proficient in Google applications, particularly GMail, Google Drive, Docs, and Sheets
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong relationship building skills
- Commitment to maintaining confidentiality of donor and prospective donor information
- Experience in an office environment
- Team player who takes initiative
- Ability to balance and manage workflow from multiple Planned Giving colleagues
- Prioritization and organizational skills
- Three to five years of office experience, preferably in a development or fundraising environment
For additional information about this position and to review other current openings in Development, please visit our website at: https://leadersandbest.umich.edu/careers/home
Although the Posting End Date may indicate otherwise, this job may be filled and closed anytime after a posting duration of seven calendar days.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.