Assistant Director of Advancement
Detailed Job Description
The Assistant Director of Advancement works closely with university senior administrators, department leadership and faculty to raise the necessary support for identified priorities. Manages a portfolio of approximately 125-150 prospects, creates fundraising strategies for all prospects, develops relationships with donors, solicits gifts primarily between $5,000 and $100,000, and coordinates effective donor stewardship. As RIT seeks to expand its prospect pipeline, the associate director will be expected to obtain 180 visits a year, including a significant number of discovery visits. The Assistant Director cultivates relationships with alumni, parents, companies and other friends and collaborates with the teams in planned giving, principal giving, alumni relations, parent engagement, regional advancement, and corporate and foundation relations to encourage donors to support RIT initiatives. The Assistant Director of Advancement reports to the Director of Advancement and works with the Institute-wide Advancement team on behalf of RIT.
The Assistant Director of Advancement will partner with one of these colleges/divisions to cultivate relationships with alumni, parents, companies and other friends and collaborates with the teams in planned giving, principal giving, alumni relations, parent engagement, regional advancement, and corporate and foundation relations to encourage donors to support RIT initiatives.
B. Thomas Golisano College of Computing and Information Sciences
The Assistant Director of Advancement is expected to work collaboratively and constantly seek ways to increase effectiveness and efficiency to reach yearly metrics.
- Develop an understanding of the educational, research, operational, and financial needs and goals of their assigned College(s)
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward leadership annual gift and major gift donors and prospects in coordination with faculty, staff, and volunteers through the proper clearance process
- Manage a portfolio of approximately 125-150 prospects, creating fundraising strategies for those prospects, and regularly solicit gifts in the $5,000 - $100,000 range
- Assist in planning, coordinating, and directing special events for donors and prospects
- Make appropriate use of time and resources; plan travel efficiently; continuously update the prospect management database with information related to donor strategies, proposals, contacts, and results.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Advancement of their assigned College(s)
Rochester Institute of Technology is a diverse and collaborative community of engaged, socially conscious, and intellectually curious minds. Through creativity and innovation, and an intentional blending of technology, the arts and design, we provide exceptional individuals with a wide range of academic opportunities, including a leading research program and an internationally recognized education for deaf and hard-of-hearing students. We are dedicated to building a diverse community, one where employees feel a sense of belonging, and are valued for their contributions and the perspectives they bring.
As a member of the RIT community, you'll receive a comprehensive employee benefits package that offers multiple options and access to additional employment advantages. You can tailor your benefit elections to meet your needs (affordable medical/dental/vision benefits; paid vacation/sick time/retirement saving plan with exceptional employer match; and tuition assistance for you and your family, to name a few).
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Travel required; some evenings and weekends required
- Minimum of 2 years of successful annual fund or major gift fundraising or customer-centered constituent engagement or marketing/sales experience
- High degree of computer literacy; interest and aptitude in learning more about management information systems
- Ability to manage complex projects and to effectively manage detail
- Sophisticated interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Required Application Documents
Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae or Resume, List of References
How To Apply
In order to be considered for this position, you must apply for it at: http://careers.rit.edu/staff. Click the link for search openings and in the keyword search field, enter the title of the position or the BR number 5675.