Director of Digital Marketing
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. In your cover letter, please indicate how you discovered this opportunity.
Reports To: Senior Executive Director, Marketing & Communications
Supervises: Assistant Director of Digital Marketing, Social Media Specialist, web and email content managers, student staff member(s)
This position is part of the senior leadership within the Marketing and Communications team in the Office of University Development (OUD). As a member of the U-M Development Community, you would join dedicated development professionals who promote and inspire life-changing private philanthropy support at U-M, and who thrive in a positive work culture that facilitates success.
In Marketing and Communications, our highly collaborative, creative, and passionate team works to reach the donors, alumni and volunteers who help make Michigan a world-class university with global reach and limitless potential. As a member of this team, you will collaborate with key partners to lead strategy aimed at maximizing the potential of digital channels to engage donors, prospects and other constituents, and drive engagement and fundraising in the digital sphere.
The Office of University Development maximizes private support for the University of Michigan.
Who We Are
The University of Michigan Development Community is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining a diverse and thriving workforce, and demonstrating respect and inclusivity for all.
Why Work at Michigan?
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, the University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family, and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous time off
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate investing
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
Over the past 10 years, OUD has built and expanded its digital marketing practice. This work has been through a partnership between the Marketing team, Development Services and Annual Giving. We want to enhance our current efforts and create innovative new initiatives, and this position plays a key role.
- Partner with development and university marketing staff to develop digital marketing strategies and continuously improve online channels, email marketing, and various digital fundraising initiatives.
- Collaborate with development partners to innovate new digital marketing opportunities for websites, email marketing, search engine optimization and marketing, and content delivery methods.
- Lead and collaborate with multiple stakeholders to enhance digital marketing efforts, ensure content is appropriately tailored across both digital and print platforms.
- Act as a resource for campus partners regarding digital engagement and stewardship, social media, and metrics for impact reporting.
- Serve as a subject matter expert regarding U-M's digital marketing presence, share knowledge on best practices and current trends in digital and mobile marketing, and technology.
- Oversee and represent technical and marketing staff, foster engagement and community among staff members, and help develop the skills and capabilities of individuals and teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications or a related field
- At least 10 years professional experience in journalism, marketing and communications
- At least five years professional experience in digital fundraising, email marketing, online branding or e-commerce
- At least three years in a leadership capacity
- An in-depth understanding of website creation/management, digital marketing strategies, and social media management
- An ability to elicit clarity from ambiguity
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong analytical skills, both in interpreting and translating data
- Innovative/creative thinker and strategic risk-taker
- Comfortable working in a highly collaborative environment with shared project/program ownership
- Ability to deliver results, provide direction and achieve consensus in a highly decentralized organization
- Experience with a philanthropic organization
- Experience in an academic environment
- Passion for the University of Michigan
For additional information about this position and to review other current openings in Development, please visit our website at: https://leadersandbest.umich.edu/careers/home
Although the Posting End Date may indicate otherwise, this job may be filled and closed anytime after a posting duration of seven calendar days.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.