Regional Director of Advancement
Detailed Job Description
Consider submitting your employment application and joining Rochester Institute of Technology on its journey as students, faculty, staff and alumni work together toward a shared destiny. We’re driving progress, we’re shaping what’s possible and we’re transforming the future by transforming RIT.
RIT’s University Advancement currently has three openings for Regional Directors of Advancement. The newly-established regional advancement department aims to further deepen relationships on behalf of the university and position RIT to reach far more alumni and philanthropic partners in order to increase support for the university.
The Regional Director of Advancement represents RIT with donors, including alumni and parents, within certain geographic areas of the United States and plays a key role in growing philanthropic giving at the university by broadening and deepening the prospect pool. They are expected to work in close partnership with colleagues across the division of University Advancement to develop and execute strategies for the identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of RIT prospects and donors that unite the philanthropic interests of our donors with the priorities and needs of the university. This position is based in Rochester, New York; extensive travel is required.
The Director manages a portfolio of approximately 100-125 prospects, creates fundraising strategies for all prospects, develops relationships with donors, solicits major gifts above the $100,000 level, as well as leadership annual fund gifts, and coordinates effective donor stewardship. Visit expectations are significant, in excess of 180 per year. The Director cultivates relationships with alumni, parents, companies and other friends and collaborates with the teams in college advancement, planned giving, principal giving, alumni relations, parent engagement, and corporate and foundation relations to encourage donors to support RIT initiatives. The Regional Director reports to the Assistant Vice President for Regional Advancement.
The Regional Director of Advancement is expected to work collaboratively and collegially, constantly seeking ways to increase effectiveness and efficiency to reach yearly metrics.
- Develop an understanding of the educational, research, operational, and financial needs and goals of RIT and its colleges and divisions.
- Identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward leadership annual gift and major gift donors and prospects in coordination with advancement colleagues, faculty, staff, and volunteers through the proper clearance process. Annual prospect and donor visit expectation of 180 or more.
- Manage a portfolio of approximately 100-125 prospects, creating fundraising strategies for those prospects, and regularly solicit leadership annual fund gifts, as well as major gifts of $100,000 or more. Significant proposal facilitation with other advancement officers is also expected.
- Assist in planning, coordinating, and directing special events for donors and prospects within assigned geographic area, working closely with Alumni and Constituent Engagement.
- Make appropriate use of time and resources; plan travel efficiently; continuously update the prospect management database with information related to donor strategies, proposals, contacts, and results.
- Other duties as assigned by the Assistant Vice President for Regional Advancement.
Founded in 1829, Rochester Institute of Technology is a diverse and collaborative community of engaged, socially conscious, and intellectually curious minds. Through creativity and innovation, and an intentional blending of technology, the arts and design, we provide exceptional individuals with a wide range of academic opportunities, including a leading research program and an internationally recognized education for deaf and hard-of-hearing students. Beyond our main campus in Rochester, New York, RIT has international campuses in China, Croatia, Dubai, and Kosovo. And with more than 19,000 students and more than 125,000 graduates from all 50 states and over 100 nations, RIT is driving progress in industries and communities around the world. Find out more at www.rit.edu
At Rochester Institute of Technology, our mission is to shape the future and improve the world through creativity and innovation. As an engaged, intellectually curious, diverse and socially conscious community, we leverage the power of technology, the arts, and design for the greater good. In the Division of University Advancement at RIT, we are dedicated to advancing this mission by fostering deep and meaningful connections with alumni, parents, friends, and organizations with the goal of increasing the resources available to the university through greater volunteer engagement and increased philanthropic support. As Advancement professionals, we seek support from a variety of investors to ensure a life-transforming RIT education is accessible to the talented students who seek to join us. We collaborate with the RIT community to lead with premier faculty, grow student research opportunities, expand experiential education, build innovative maker and learning facilities and improve the world through research and discovery. Great things are happening at RIT with so much more to come.
Required Minimum Qualifications
Education Requirements: Bachelor’s degree
- Required Skills: Minimum of 7 years of successful major gift fundraising or customer-centered constituent engagement or marketing/sales experience; preference for experience in a complex higher education setting
- Demonstrated success in cultivating, soliciting, and closing gifts of $100,000 or more
- High degree of computer literacy
- Ability and willingness to travel at least 50% of the time, including some weekends and evenings
- Ability to manage complex projects and to effectively manage detail; set priorities and map direction on concurrent fronts
- Sophisticated interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Required Application Documents
Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae or Resume
How To Apply
In order to be considered for this position, you must apply for it at: http://careers.rit.edu/staff. Click the link for search openings and in the keyword search field, enter the title of the position or the BR number 5571.